Monday, June 6, 2011

Caliente, NV

Today's Image - The Road Sign for the Extraterrestrial Highway, (NV 375)














Although it rained all night, it only went down to around 44°F & we all did quite well in the trailer.  It was either rain or a heavy mist this morning. I made my usual run to the bathroom with my shower token in hand.  Rather than use quarters for showers, Mono Vista provides a token for the hot water in the showers (Cold is free).  Only problem - Stall 5 has a broken token machine.  I'm undressed, soap & shampoo in the shower stall ready for me to drop my 5 minute hot water token, and although it goes in, no hot water comes out. Mumble & grumble, get dressed again, but office wasn't open yet, so I couldn't ask for a replacement.  Went back to the trailer, got dressed in the day's clothes, ate some breakfast & we  decided to take the Jane Lake drive, a 15 mile scenic loop off of 395 south of Lee Vining.  The office was open by then, they apologized for the shower problem & gave me a new token.  Although the RV space they gave us was a bit tight to get into, I do recommend the place.

The Jane Lake drive is a very pretty road, well worth the hour or so it takes to drive it.

After we got back & had our showers, it was off to Caliente, NV. By the time we left Lee Vining it had cleared up quite a bit so we stopped again at the South Tufa part of Mono Lake & took some photos with blue skies.  

We took the Extraterrestrial Highway as part of the drive.  One problem - in this area of Nevada the gas stations are far & few between.  They put signs outside of town telling you how many miles to the next gas.  Although I filled up in Tonopah, by the time I reached the next gas station in Caliente I only had 2 gallons left.  Since towing in the hills in that area was only giving me around 8.5 miles per gallon, that was cutting it a bit close!

We are in Young's RV Park in Caliente, NV, Site 21.  At $24.00 for both the tent & trailer (with full hookups) a pretty good deal! They also have the classiest bathrooms I've ever seen in a campground.


Till tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment