Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Collier Memorial State Park, OR

A Tree at Butte Valley Fair RV Park

Wednesday, July 2, 2014, Collier Memorial State Park, OR- 65.9 miles, 12,217.7 For the Trip

After last night's post I took a few more photos of the sunset & an interesting tree on the edge of the campground. There was a thunder & lightning storm well away from the campground (we got a few drops of rain) that would have made great photos if I dragged myself out of the trailer, but by the time I convinced myself that the conditions were dark enough for good pictures, it went away.

A very short drive into Oregon today. I stopped for gas in Klamath Falls (saving $.50 per gallon over California's prices), then headed up US 97 to Collier Memorial State Park. I called Oregon's State Park reservation system last night, and all the sites at Collier and other nearby state parks were booked for the long weekend, so I got an early start, hoping to find an open site at the "A" loop, the first come section. I didn't need to hurry - lots of open spaces, even a few now at 6:45PM.

A pretty site (A10) with full hookups for $26.00 per night. I signed up for 4 nights rather than spend the next couple of days trying to find a site during the holiday weekend. The site is close to the bathrooms (with free showers) and has good shade.

After setting up the trailer I debated (can you do that with yourself?) whether to drive to Crater Lake National Park or wait until tomorrow. After talking with my neighbor (in a 17' Casita) I decided to stay here & visit the Logging Museum. Lots of cabins, machinery, and information about logging in Oregon. The collection of old chain saws is interesting. I still cut with a Homelite SX 135 saw that isn't that much newer than one of the ones on the wall! The chain saw on wheels was interesting. There was also a hand operated drill press. I actually used one a few years ago & found it quite handy if you don't have electrical power available. I enjoyed the visit. Photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

After that it was back to the campground to do some reading.

Dinner was spaghetti & meatballs.

Until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT Adventure you are on...terrific posts and the photography is super...I am enjoying riding in the back seat .....thanks for sharing...have a safe and great Independence Day...Horst sends

    ReplyDelete