Friday, February 14, 2014

Imperial Dam BLM, CA, Day 5

Behind Imperial Dam
Friday, February 14, 2014, Imperial Dam BLM, CA, Day 5 - 0 miles, 5008 For the Trip

Happy Valentine's Day!!

I skipped my walk today - even at 8:00AM it was too warm. I know this will annoy those back east, or, for that matter, almost anywhere else in the country, but it is HOT here. 92°F today.

I did quite a bit or reading, and went to Imperial Dam to take a couple of photographs of it. A very wide, but low (31 feet high) dam on the Colorado River. The host at the boat launch told me that you can stay in the parking lot at the dam for 3 days for free. I can understand how so little water is left in the Colorado by the time it hits Mexico - lots of irrigation canals branching off at many dams. From what I've read, one of the most regulated rivers in the US.

I decided to try for gas at the Yuma Proving Grounds. I have enough to get to the Hot Springs (my next stop) but since I'm down to 1/2 a tank, my rule is to fill up ASAP. At the gate they asked for my license, registration & proof of insurance, but the gas station was open to all.

On the way back to the campground I finally saw some of the burros that run around the campground. I've heard then at night, seen their tracks going through my campsite, but never actually saw one until today. Since I was on the main road I didn't stop, but grabbed a couple of quick (and lousy) shots. Finally, a photo of the moon rise over one of the trailers.  More photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

Dinner was snap peas & a turkey burger.

Until tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment