Thursday, May 19, 2011

Kingman, AZ

Today's Photo - The Grand Canyon, AZ
















I just realized I've been on the road for over a month. How time flies. As to the grand Canyon, the snow cleared for a bit & I went over to the Desert View viewing area & shot a couple of late images. Very cool (not neat - cold) color. After that is was a rush back to the trailer to warm up. I'm not sure why it seems so cold - I've been camping in temperatures well below freezing & my thermometer says it's 32 °F. Maybe the altitude? What ever, I was cold taking the pictures, even with gloves & my heavy jacket. The furnace ran most of the night - sure glad I ran out of propane early enough to get more or it would have been a cold, cold night. I really feel for some of the people camping here. The worst off was a couple sleeping under a tarp stretched between two motorcycles.

Although it was still cloudy at 6:00AM and there was 3/4" of snow on the trailer & RAV4, I hooked up & headed towards the South Entrance & Kingman. I stopped along the way for a couple of shots. Much warmer color than last night!

I'm in site 2 at the Blake Ranch RV Park & Horse Motel. A great place with the best shower rooms I've seen so far. Each room has a huge shower, sink & toilet, with room to get dressed! Tomorrow I'm heading to Nevada & the Valley of Fire State park. I'll be there fairly early for meeting Anne & Don, but I can use the time to try to get an electric site, and make some runs to other locations, leaving the trailer at the campground.I got off I40 at Selgman to travel a 100 mile section of Historic Route 66. The last time I was on this section of Rt 66 I was a 5 year old on 1950 on a trip with my parents & brother & sister in a 1938 Plymouth & home built camping trailer. Actually, we slept in a tent; the trailer was there to carry everything. Some photos of the trip are at 1950 Trip.

I'm finally in a location that has fast enough internet that I can post the pages at Lakeshore Images.  If you want to see more photos of the last couple of days, check the Trip Index.

Till Tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Jon, beautiful picture. Heat: Do you not have a small electric heater. If I have hook ups, I rarely use the furnace. The electric heater warms the trailer up in no time. I have a Vortex that I put at the other end of the trailer from where I sleep with a remote so I can turn it off. It's quiet and the thermostat is pretty true unlike other heaters I've tried. It's a bit pricey, but I was never sorry I bought it. Puts the heat on someone else's dime and saves the propane for when I'm not hooked up.

    Yes, it is hard to believe that your out for a month. Six months literally flew by for me.

    ReplyDelete