Thursday, February 22, 2024

23 - 24 Trip to the Southwest, Day 130

Thursday, February 22, 2024 - Gilbert Ray County Park, Tucson, AZ, Day 3 & Desert Museum - 0 Miles, 3,925.8 Miles for the trip 

After breakfast I packed up the camera & headed to the Desert Museum, practically next door to the campground. $27.95 with a $2.00 senior discount. 

I did my morning walk at the Desert Museum; longer than my usual mile. The first stop was the live raptor exhibit. Very crowded. I arrived at the gate for the exhibit at 9:05 and there was already a crowd. The same docent that did the narration in 2022 the last time I was here. 

As usual, they warn you not to stick anything above your heads since the birds fly within inches of you. 

While it was cool during the morning & most of the raptor exhibit, it quickly warmed up to the point where I wish I had worn shorts & a "T" shirt. I had lunch at a Quick Cafe in the museum ($17.00 for an excellent chicken & avocado salad), then went to see the bears & mountain lions (both were hiding) and the Mexican Timber Wolves which were out. After that it was 1:30 & I headed back to the trailer.

The Crowd

Great Horned Owl


Caracaras

Harris's Hawk

Rufous Hummingbird

It is another one of those days where the sun is too strong & the shade (with wind) is too cool. 67°F at 2:30. Inside it is necessary to run the AC to keep the trailer below 82°F and the noise of the AC is annoying. You can't win (at least until I change the AC to a Houghton).

Since my lunch salad was huge, dinner was just some cheese & crackers.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment