Monday, April 24, 2017

Day 176, Monday, April 24, 2017, Hungry Mother State Park, VA

The Spillway & Stream
Monday, April 24, 2017, Hungry Mother State Park, VA, 166.8 miles, 7,765.9 Miles For the Trip

The rain stopped overnight and stayed dry throughout the morning (other than a few drops the light wind knocked off the leaves). I said some good byes to a few of the other hangers on, then headed out of the park around 10:00. I thought about backtracking to Maryville to get to I40 rather than going through Pigeon Forge, which can sometimes have severe traffic problems, but decided since it was a late Monday morning, it should be OK. It was, and I continued on to I 81 to Marion, VA and the Hungry Mother State Park. I stayed here at the beginning of the trip for a mini rally in site 35.

Many of the rivers along the way were in flood stage, in fact there were a couple of "Road Closed" signs due to flooding. There is a dam with a spillway above the campground. The last time I was here the spillway was empty with the lake a couple of feet below it. Today it is full of muddy water. The stream next to the campground isn't over its banks, but just about as close as it can get. I picked a site uphill from the stream! I'm in site 39 for two nights, a water & electric site for $39.36 per night, which includes out of state pricing & a $5.00 reservation fee (even though I didn't make a reservation). The site photo is at today's lakeshoreImages page.

While it isn't raining, it also isn't dry & sunny. There is a heavy mist in the air that makes it feel even cooler than it actually is - currently 56°F, but I watched a couple going by wearing winter coats & gloves!

After setting up I headed to the campground office to pay for the site, then into Marion & the Food Lion for a couple of items. Since it is only 3 miles from the campground, I decided a frozen pizza would make a great dinner. Since the freezer isn't big enough to fit a 12" pizza, I have to cook them as soon as I get them home. So, dinner was a pepperoni pizza a bit early at 4:30. After pizza I headed to the campground laundry. Two loads at $1.50 to wash & $1.50 to dry. Nice clean machines & a folding table in the room. I met a woman from Rhode Island heading home, that has been traveling in the south since December.

Until tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment