Sunday, April 16, 2017

Day 168, Sunday, April 16, 2017, Cumberland Mountain State Park, TN

Site 24
Sunday, April 16, 2017, Cumberland Mountain State Park, TN, 75 Miles, 7,492.1 Miles For the Trip

Happy Easter! We had a bit of light rain overnight and during the morning. Since I didn't have far to go to the next stop, I decided to wait it out, and it stopped around 10:00. The rain brought down a bunch of pretty flowers from a tree over the sidewalk to the bathrooms. I don't know what kind of tree it is, and couldn't ID the flower with a Google image search, but I picked one up for a photo. Check today's LakeshoreImages page for the photo.

I dumped the tanks at the dump station, and stopped at the office to drop off my garbage at the dumpsters. I was also suppose to pick up a sock that the campground host let me know I had left in the laundry room (She was pretty sure I was the only one that did male socks yesterday). Only problem is I got talking with someone about fiberglass trailers & forgot. Actually, not a problem since I'm sure I have at least one sock with a hole in the toe so I can just toss it to keep pairs!

A pleasant drive on US 70 to Cumberland Mountain State Park. I think I'm still in Central Time, although the change to Eastern happens before I get out of Tennessee. I had checked with Reserve America, and there were lots of open sites, so I didn't make a reservation for the three days I need to wait until my reservation for the Townsend rally.

The directions in the park to get to the office were a bit confusing & I ended up driving through the dump station. That wouldn't have been a problem, but someone in a class A decided to stop at the gate after the dump station, blocking the road. After a 5 minute wait, I decided I'd walk to the office & get a site while I waited (there was no one in the driver's seat). I was assigned site 25, a water & electric site for $27.39 per night (with a 25% senior discount). When I got to the site there was someone in it even though it was an hour after check out time. No one around, including the host site, so I called the office & they moved me to site 24. While it is a full hookup site, they didn't charge extra (and, I didn't connect to the sewer). Anyhow, I'm moved in.

Cloudy, and much cooler, although still in the 80's. No rain during the afternoon, and a light breeze made it nice to sit outside. I walked around the different loops (there are 5 of them) and checked out the bathrooms - typical older state park bathrooms with a couple of shower stalls.

Around dinner time I thought about going to the restaurant, but drove across the dam on the lake & found the parking lot completely filled with Easter diners. Rather than fight the crowd, I decided to head to Food City for some ice cream (I've been out for almost a week) and picked up some fried chicken & deviled egg potato salad for dinner.

Until tomorrow -

1 comment:

  1. We have friends in Crossville and plan to visit this month. Thought we'd stay at Cumberland Mountain state park. Our friends suggested Bean Pot but the name just doesn't do it for me.
    Enjoy your stay....Happy Easter!!

    www.freedom2roll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete