Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania

The grand Canyon of PA
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - Leonard Harrison State Park, PA, 24.5 Miles Today, 339.5 For the Trip

I left the Ives Run COE campground around 11:30 and made the short drive to the Leonard Harrison State Park.  I stopped at the Wellsboro Tops grocery store for some supplies on the way. The small campground has 28 sites, 6 with electric only hookups. $23.00 per night with a 20% senior discount (PA is one of the few states that gives a senior discount to non residents). 

Another Escape trailer owner told me to watch for the "brick" church on the way to the campground along PA 660. It is interesting - what looks like a red brick church is actually a painted finish - not real bricks. A pretty church.

After setting up the trailer I headed for the view of the Grand Canyon of PA. It is interesting that there are a bunch of "Grand Canyons" in many eastern states - PA, NY, ME, NC, & GA for example. While they are all worth a visit, they don't compare to the real thing in AZ! In any case, there is a hike to the bottom of the canyon called the Turkey Path Trail, and since there are a couple of waterfalls along the trail, I had to take the hike. 

Like all waterfall trails it included quite a drop, and was easier going down than coming back up! The photos are not all that great - while the sun was covered with clouds when I started down the trail, it broke through when I arrived at the falls. Harsh sunlight & waterfalls don't mix, at least for photographs.  In any case, more photos at my LakeshoreImages site.

Like many of the parks built by the CCC, they have a statue of a worker and signs explaining what the CCC was.  The number of parks built by the CCC during the depression is amazing. 

After returning to the trailer, I sat outside, slapping tiny flies while trying to read. Finally gave up & made dinner - grilled chicken, saffron rice & green beans.

Until Tomorrow -

2 comments:

  1. My own trips have kept me from checking in on you! Right now my son is biking from Philadelphia to DC. He has made friends, and is having a marvelous time. He was at the Eastern Cumberland Gap.

    ReplyDelete