Sunday, September 21, 2014

Delaware Water Gap, PA

Buttermilk Falls, The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
Sunday, September 21, 2014, Dingmans Campground, The Delaware Water Gap, PA 155.8 Miles Today, 548.8 For the Trip

Today was a travel day.  Unfortunately, most of it was boring along I80.  It did get interesting towards the end - a large lump in my lane turned out to be a dead black bear.  I managed to drive around it, but was surprised to see one.

I am spending 4 nights in site 9 at Dingmans Campground in PA. While the $20.00 per night with the senior discount isn't too bad, at the normal $40.00 per night it isn't worth it.  While the site has water & electric, and is quite large & under some nice shade trees (enough that my XM Radio doesn't work) the bathrooms are scary!  They do have showers, although one of the them in the men's bathroom only has a hot water faucet.   The sign on the door says they are cleaned Saturday & Sunday mornings, and they look like the last time was a number of Sundays ago. Anyhow, I'm here.  Very quiet with just a few sites occupied.

The campground hands out driving directions to the area waterfalls, so I decided to try for a couple after setting up the trailer. While the campground is in PA, some of the waterfalls I visited are in New Jersey across the Delaware River.  Like most directions, they only help - for example, the directions say Brinks Road, but the sign says Main Street. The bridge across the river is a very narrow 2 lane bridge with a weight limit of 4 tons. It is a toll bridge - $1.00 each way, collected by someone standing between the lanes on the PA side of the bridge. The even have a sign that there is a charge for bikes.

An even smaller 3 ton, one lane bridge crosses a stream on the way. If they get any smaller, even the RAV4 won't be allowed! For a moment, I thought I discovered a new product (bridge building) of my home town of Croton, NY on the casting on the bridge, however a closer look read Groton, NY...

For anyone interested in visiting the area, late September is about the worst time possible. Too early for good color (although there was some) and far too little water going over the falls. I did see my second black bear of the day, this one crossing the road in front of me but I didn't get the chance to take a photo.

The first visit was to Buttermilk Falls (I believe it is required that every state has at least one Buttermilk Falls (NY has at least two)). It probably looks great when there is more water. The next stop was Tillmans Ravine. Not really a waterfall, but again a stream that would look better with more water. Still, a very pretty wooded area. For the pictures, check my Delaware Water Gap page.

After driving back across the Delaware River I cooked a Bubba Burger & green beans for dinner.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment