Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Delaware Water Gap, Day 3

Bushkill Falls, Delaware Water Gap, PA
Tuesday, September 23, 2014, Delaware Water Gap, PA, 0 Miles Today, 548.8 For the Trip

After a cool night in the 40's, I woke up to clear skies, which makes for poor waterfall photos, but the weather is predicted to be the same for tomorrow, so I headed out. Today was my "Commercial" waterfall visit - Bushkill Waterfalls. There is an admission charge for the waterfall trails - $12.50, although as a senior, I got a dollar off.

While the map lists 8 waterfalls, I either missed some or 2 didn't have enough water to qualify. I took the Red trail, a 2 mile hike that passes all of them. In any case, it is a well developed hiking trail. Any place that would involve scrambling has walkways & stairs, although one section is a long uphill hike through a rocky dried up stream bed (that is probably well filled in the Spring).

All in all, a comfortable couple of hours of hiking & photographing. I won't try to name each waterfall since I must have missed some, but the photos are in order along the Red trail hiking in a clockwise (for you digital folks who have never seen an analog clock face, around the bases backwards) direction. The first 2 images are of the main falls, which can be viewed without taking any stairs (although not from the bottom!)  (Photos have been added to the Delaware Water Gap page.)

After the hike I headed to a nearby grocery store for some supplies, then 16 miles back to the campground.  I decided that I needed a shower after 2 days of sweaty hiking, so even though the bathroom is "interesting", I headed for it.

Now I generally don't complain about the conditions of campground bathrooms (other than poor design) but the North Bathroom here in the park is pretty bad.  There are 2 showers, one with an anemic shower head. While the shower head on the other stall is great, there is no handle on the cold water valve.  I found that it didn't matter, since the hot water was not hot enough to need any cold water added.  Since there were fewer spiders in the single faucet shower, and a better spray, that is where I headed.  While small & dirty, I have to admit it was fairly well designed.  Shower curtains, a bench, and 3 sets of hooks.  Even had a soap rack hanging from the shower head.

Dinner was the rest of the left over orange chicken.

Until Tomorrow -

2 comments:

  1. Bad bath facilities can ruin a camping experience, I have learned the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose, although as long as nothing bites me & I don't catch anything, I can put up with just about any bathroom I've found. At least I feel clean!

    ReplyDelete