Monday, April 1, 2019

Day 240, Monday, April 1, 2019 - Henry Horton State Park, Chapel Hill, TN

Site 16
Monday, April 1, 2019 - Henry Horton State Park, Chapel Hill, TN - 128.7 Miles, 10,522.8 Miles for the Trip

Another cool night & morning - down to 32°F by early morning, and only into the low 50's during the day. I packed up the trailer and headed east. Getting to US 412 included 20 miles of very narrow, but paved road, although it was in excellent condition. I didn't meet anyone coming the other way, but there were parts of it that had no shoulders which would have made that difficult. US 412 is a mixed 2/4 lane road in good condition. The usual small towns that slow you down to 45 or 30 MPH, but far more interesting than I 40.

Just after passing through the larger town of Hohenwald, TN, I saw a bunch of Olivers on the other side of the road. I found their showroom - the factory is about a mile away. Olivers are a 4 season fiberglass trailer. While much more expensive than Escapes, there are many nice features to them. Personally, one of their selling points mentioned by the salesman who took me through a Legacy Elite II when he described the "no wood interior",  is one of the things I don't like about them. They are bright inside, feel larger than the Escape 21 (they are 23' long), and have a pair of fair sized single beds, but the all fiberglass interior reminds me of the inside of a refrigerator. Still, they are a popular trailer. A photo outside the office is at today's LakeshoreImages page.

I arrived at Henry Horton around 1:30 and found my site - #16. It is listed on the Tennessee State Parks reservations page as a back in, slight incline site. I'd hate to park in one of their "moderate" incline sites - their idea of slight required 8 Lego blocks & the full extension of the tongue jack to get close to level. Even more interesting, a review of the campground included someone that stayed in the same site last year , and described it as a level pull through. I suspect they actually stayed in site 14, which is closer to what they described, although the travel trailer parked in #14 still had to do a bit of leveling. I do have to watch my step getting out of the trailer. The front is so high that there is more than the usual distance between the bottom step & the ground.

In any case, the site is paved, with water & electric for $38.45 per night with all the taxes & reservation fee. The office isn't open, so I don't know if it is possible to get my site fee reduced because of my senior status. There is a note to go to the lodge if you need to pay for a site, so I will give that a try tomorrow.

Dinner was a grilled chicken thigh and Margaret Holmes Buttered Double Succotash. I'm still trying for the old fashion succotash of creamed corn & lima beans - While the corn is whole kernel, the sauce makes it very close to the old fashion version. I hope I can find it again!

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment