Thursday, April 11, 2019

Day 247, Monday, April 8, 2019 - Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountain NP, TN

Site 33, Cades Cove

Monday, April 8, 2019 - Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountain NP, TN - 136 Miles, 10,772.5 Miles for the Trip

It poured much of the night, as well as the morning. I thought about waiting it out before closing up the trailer for travel, but it never got lighter, so on went the rain jacket & out went Jon in the rain. I kept telling myself "At least is isn't a tent!".

After my third "This road may flood during heavy rain" sign, I decided to head for I 40 rather than stay on the back roads. Lots of water on the roads, but none so deep that it was a problem. We did have one section of stop & go on I 40 just before the Townsend exit. Rain most of the drive until the last 20 miles. I stopped at the Townsend IGA for a bottle of juice & some muffins.

I drove into the park, hoping there would be a first come site available. All the reservable sites that would work for a trailer were already taken 2 weeks ago. I pulled into Cades Cove campground around 1:00 after adding an hour because of the time zone change. Finally back on the same time as my kids.

I'm in site 33, a paved (mostly) back in site with a picnic table, a tent pad, a firepit/grill and two trees that require careful backing.  I'm next door to the site I had last year (35). Across the road are the bathrooms (heated, but no showers). Cost for the dry site is $12.50 per night with the senior card discount. The site is just deep enough for the 21 & truck, and while not level enough to leave the truck connected, close enough.

There are still a few first come sites, but there are far more people here than last year (including 5 Escapes. After I set up a small trailer with a yappy dog and a construction generator pulled in across from me. He fired it up to use a 120V electric drill to lower his stabilizers.

I need to shout out to Nancy & Gary - Have a great trip to pick up your new Escape!

Dinner was a group effort (sorta a mini pot luck) of chicken & potatoes put together by the Escape owners.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment