Thursday, August 2, 2012

Grand Teton National Park, WY

Grand Tetons National Park, WY

Thursday, August 2 -Grand Teton National Park, WY 187.0 + 51.5 in the Park Miles Today, 11,848.0 For the Trip

Driving along US 20/26 I passed the three Buttes & stopped to take a photo of the largest, Big Butte. Lots of antennas all over the top. I continued on 20/26, then 26, then 31 (quite a climb over Teton Pass - 8,431'.) After that it was into the park & Gros Ventre Campground. I'm in site 92, a dry (they all are) site not too far from the bathrooms. No showers, so that will have to wait another day.

There was a herd of Bison along Gros Ventre Campground Road - I stopped twice to take some photos. I also drove out to Mormon Row for a couple of images. Not the best time of day for it. I also made a couple of stops at places I haven't been to before - I drove to Deadman's Bar where they were digging out the boat ramp with a Payloader, and Schwabacher Road, both of which give a nice view of the Tetons over a stream.

This is the latest I've visited the Tetons, and I miss the snow on the mountains. There is some there, but much more impressive in June & July.

After that I came back to the trailer to download the images & post today's page. Alas, although I do have a Verizon signal here at the campground, it is not fast enough to upload the images & pages. After I build the pages I'll drive into Jackson to post them. I also want to fill the RAV4 tank since the plan is to head out on US 26/287 tomorrow.

Until Tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I stayed in that campground way back in 1976 with friends. It was my first trip away from home without family and we all had a blast hiking in Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and beautiful Glacier NP. I remember Gros Ventre because it was my first view of the Tetons. We had come into the campground after dark and so when we woke up and I saw the mountains, I was very excited.

    Enjoyed the moon photos. It was sure bright last night.

    ReplyDelete