Sunday, August 5, 2012

Boom Days, Leadville, CO

A Stubborn Burro, Boom Days, Leadville, CO


Sunday, August 5 - Leadville, CO, - 160.3 Miles Today, 12,449.9 For the Trip

I got a late start, partially because I drove to Craig's City Market to see if they had my favorite ice cream. They did, so it was worth the trip. In any case, I climbed up & down along US 40, and CO 24, including the highest so far for the trip going over Tennessee Pass at 10, 424'. Not the highest for the trailer - that was11,158' approaching the Eisenhower Tunnel on I 70 last year.

I met Anne at her house in Leadville, parked the trailer in the National Mining Hall of Fame for the night, and headed into the center of the city to attend "Boom Days." They have all kinds of things going on over the weekend. Today was some drilling competitions, the Burro Race, and a gunfight. More photos on today's LakeshoreImages page.

The burro race was interesting. The burros have minds of their own. Even though they were some of the first to complete the course, when they hit the final 100 yards they decided to stop. It was great fun watching the drivers trying to get some of them across the finish line. Others just trotted across.

I'm going to spend the night in Dick & Anne's spare bedroom - first time in 94 days in a real bed. Don't know if I will be able to stand it, but I'm up for trying!

Until Tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment