Monday, June 23, 2014

Natural Bridges National Monument, UT, Day 2

Fallen Roof Ruin, Road Canyon, UT
Friday, June 20, 2014, Natural Bridges National Monument, UT, Day 2, 0 - miles, 10,844.4 For the Trip

I made another attempt at finding the Fallen Roof Ruin in Road Canyon this morning with much better luck. And, I do mean luck. On the way in I managed to go past the ruin, and continued on to the next ruin. Unfortunately, I only had my wide angle lens, and the climb to the ruin was bad enough that as a single hiker, I skipped it. You will have to do with some soft enlargements.

I finally decided that what I saw must have been the second set of ruins described in the hiking guides, so I turned back. I stopped to rest under the shade of a Cottonwood tree, and swore I could hear voices. When I moved out of the shade & looked up, I saw a couple of hikers & just beyond them the edge of the Fallen Roof Canyon. Without hearing them & probably would have missed it. Not quite as impressive coloring as the House on Fire ruin in nearby Mule Canyon, but well worth the hike (well, 2 hikes.)

Anyway, I did get my photographs. On the way back I decided to drive to Mexican Hat to photograph Goosenecks State Park &, of course, the Mexican Hat.  More photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

After gassing up in Mexican Hat I headed back up the Moki Dugway. I saw 3 class C RVs coming down the Dugway; it was interesting that they were all rentals.

Back at Natural Bridges I met & talked with a Casita owner from Colorado. While I was gone the propane tank ran dry. I usually remember to open the valve on the extra tank so the automatic switchover works when I'm near the end of a tank if I'm going to be away from the trailer, but forgot this morning. I don't like to leave both valves open all the time because it might switch without me knowing it & leave me without as happened on a 25°F night at the Grand Canyon. The freezer was up to 10°F & the refrigerator section to 39°F, so I must have caught it early.

Anyhow, I'm going to do nothing for the rest of the day.

Dinner will probably be a tuna fish sandwich unless something else simple jumps out at me.

Until the next data connection -

No comments:

Post a Comment