Monday, June 23, 2014

Goblin Valley State Park, UT

Little Wild Horse Canyon, UT

Saturday, June 21, 2014, Goblin Valley State Park, UT, 125.4 - miles, 10,969.8 For the Trip

Another day without posting; no internet here at Goblin Valley State Park. I'll look for a connection tomorrow so I can post the last 3 days.

I got an early start this morning; I left natural Bridges around 7:15AM. The plan was to drive up UT 95, and though Goblin Valley State park was listed as full for the weekend the last time I had an Verizon signal to check, sometimes a site opens up. Since there are no hookups, the heat gets to some campers & they leave early. When I arrived, there were two sites open - 21 & 22. I stayed in 21 in 2012, but someone was ahead of me & grabbed it. I settled for 22, which is a pull through next to the bathrooms. $20.00 for the night. While there are no hookups, there are bathrooms with flush toilets & showers. More on the bathrooms later!

While I make lists of places I want to see both new and again, two for southern Utah on this trip are in this area. Yesterday's Fallen Roof Ruin was on this year's bucket list and today I got to hike the Little Wild Horse Canyon just outside Goblin Valley. The previous times I've stayed here I either didn't know about the slot canyon, or wasn't able to schedule a trip. While not as photographic as the Antelope Canyons of Page, AZ, they are worth the hike. An eight mile loop through 2 canyons is possible, how ever I only did about 2 miles worth of Little Wild Horse.

I also took a few noon time photos at the Goblins. Not the best light, but the good color later in the day makes terrible shadows so I try to do some of each. It is clouding up now (around 6:00PM) so I don't know how the later photos will go. It's later - no problem with shadows at 7:15 - the overcast doesn't as warmth to the images, but it does prevent shadows. I don't think I'm going to get any star photos tonight. The moon has been late & the campgrounds dark, but the clouds have not cooperated for night time photos. More photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

I hit the bathroom for a shave & shower (the showers are individual rooms on the back side of the bathhouse). While the showers were fine (and welcome) the men's bathroom had a drainage problem - all the toilets including the urinal were overflowing...

Dinner will be as late as possible - it is very warm - (98°F) so I'm waiting to cook. I'll probably make spaghetti & meatballs.

Until the next data connection -

No comments:

Post a Comment