Sunday, July 22, 2012

Waterfalls Along the Historic Columbia River Highway (OR 30)

Cascades Below Bridal Veil Falls, OR

Sunday, July 22, Waterfalls Along the Historic Columbia River Highway, OR, - 174 Miles Today,10,161.6 For the Trip

Today was waterfall day. I'm sure I will find many more on the trip, but after dropping off the trailer at site 51 at the Portland Fairview RV Park (which has everything - I 84 traffic, in the flight path of the local airport, and a railroad track just below the campground - at least the trains don't blow their whistle and the flight path is landing, not takeoffs!) Actually, it is a nice park & the noise isn't all that bad. Level concrete pads, full hookups, and a bit crowded, but I have a Casita next to me that was at the Oregon Gathering at Bullard's Beach.

I headed out to visit some of the waterfalls along Historic OR 30 which parallels I 84. In fact, at the suggestion of the campground office, I took I 84 to the Multnomah Falls exit. I suspect a non raining Sunday afternoon just might not be the best time to visit - it took 20 minutes to find a parking space. Multnomah Falls is impressive for its drop, however the bridge in the middle distracts a bit from the overall image, at least in a photograph. Still, well worth a stop.

After looking at the back up on OR 30 at the falls, I decided not to go west to see the other falls, but, instead took I 84 back to the Corbett exit & headed back to the east once I got on OR 30. The first stop was at Vista House at Crown Point. A beautiful building with stained glass windows with a great view of the gorge. I didn't go all the way back to Multnomah Falls, but stopped at Bridal Veil Falls (I wonder how many Bridal Veil Falls there are throughout the US - I've visited a bunch of them). Anyhow, my favorite wasn't actually a falls, but the rapids below Bridal Veil Falls. If you look closely at some of the photos you will see another photographer doing the same thing I was - ignoring the falls & shooting the cascades. Of course, I did also shoot the falls. On the way back I filled out a survey for the Oregon Park System on the park, and stopped at Chanticleer Point (Women's Forum State Park) for some more  photos of the Columbia Gorge. You can see the rest of the photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.


Dinner was boring, so I won't even bother describing it!

Till Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment