Monday, July 2, 2012

Joseph H. Stewart State Campground, OR, Day 4

An Osprey Near Lost Lake

Monday, July 2, Joseph H. Stewart State Campground, OR - 28.2 Miles Today, 9,244.1 For the Trip

The first bit of excitement for the day was a trip to Shady Cove to do laundry. Alright, not all that exciting unless it is you that are out of sox, and running low on everything else.

On the way back to the campground I decided to stop at a fish hatchery. I had been passing it up because the one in Oswego only has a run in October; the rest of the year it is open, but nothing going on. Guess what - here on the west coast the salmon run is underway. It is a bigger operation than the one in Oswego, but does much of the same thing - collects fish, separates them by sex & species, treats them for disease, and puts them in storage ponds. Eventually, they collect eggs & milt, and raise fish to be released back in the Rogue River. Pictures at today's LakeshoreImages page.

I also drove up to the dam that creates Lost Lake. On the way back to the campground I found a Osprey nest & got a couple of photos of the resident. The first is a bit soft - I took it at a low ISO with my 2X extender to make my 200mm lens a 400mm so it is wide open at f:5.6. I managed to bump the ISO up to 1250 while the Osprey was circling & am happier with the landing shot.


I haven't decided whether to have left over stew or cook up a couple of the remaining beer brots for dinner. This will be my last night here - tomorrow I'm heading to Diamond Lake.

Till Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment