Thursday, July 19, 2012

Lighthouses, Sea Lions, Seals & Long Waits for Showers

The Umpqua River Lighthouse, OR

Thursday, July 19, Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial Park, OR, - 119.9 Miles Today, 9,805.1 For the Trip

The refrigerator is now working as it should, at least on electric. Tony at Gibs says not to run it on gas until it is fixed. I got a call from Tammy at Escape & they should have the parts to fix it in by the 26th, so it looks like I'm heading for Canada.

Today, after waiting until 1:01 for the people in my new site to move out I set up in the F loop, site 264. After setting up I headed back down the coast with just the RAV4 to check out lighthouses, rocks, the ocean, etc. I stopped first at the Umpqua River Lighthouse, then drove down to the shoreline & the triangle. I don't know what kind of fishing is going on in the triangle, but there are a bunch of what looks like large floats with a couple of commercial fisherman moving around them - maybe shell fish? In any case, it looked neat. After that I continued south to the Cape Arago State park, photographed rocks, sea lions & seals, & what I think was the Cape Arago Lighthouse. If there is a road to it I never found it or any signs for it so all I got was a distance photo. On the way back to the campground I stopped to take a couple of photos of an interesting boat house on a lake surrounded by trees.

After getting back & eating dinner (a couple of cheese brots & the rest of the Dole Coleslaw which I really like, but have rarely found) I headed for the showers. At the old site they were next door - three pretty beat stalls on the men's side. Here they are newer - 4 individual rooms, however I suspect some kids locked the two center doors with no one inside. Either that or we waited in line for 2 people who don't answer knocks and were taking 1/2 hour showers! At least the four of us waiting got to talk about out travels.

Till Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment