Monday, March 2, 2020

Day 134, Monday, March 2, 2020 - Sunny Flats Forest Service Campground, Portal, AZ, Day 2

My Site Looking Southwest
A quiet night - not a sound but the wind from outside, and, with no internet service for the phone, none of my favorite on line radio stations. I did listen to a bit of XM Radio but the weekend schedule available on their NPR channel is very repetitive, so that didn't last long. During the night it actually warmed up a bit, then around 6:30AM, it was back down to 50°F.

After breakfast I took a walk around the campground, took a couple of photos, then did some reading in the trailer. While yesterday's heavy clouds have been replaced with a lightly scattered overcast, at 55°F and a fair amount of wind, sitting outside, even in the sun was uncomfortable. Lots of change over in the campground. The folks in the van from Alaska left and were soon replaced by a 5th wheel. A camper van from Michigan moved in next door in site 12. There are still a few empty sites, but most of them are shallow.

I'm now reading book 8 of the Manny series by Rich Curtin. I still don't quite know what to make of the collection. I love reading about the area where the stories take place, but wish the writing was better. Too much repetition - much of each book is repeating information from the previous volumes. While it is difficult for an author to choose how much should be carried over in a series, I believe that they should be read in order, which lets the author cut down on introducing the same material in each book. In any case, I'm starting the 8th book Coyote's Regret, and have enjoyed the series. I just discovered that Anne Hillerman launched The Tale Teller: A Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito Novel, the 23rd book in the series created by her father Tony, so I am looking forward to reading it.

I have discovered that both Lightroom & Dreamweaver do not like having a WiFi connection that is not connected to the internet. Both were very slow, taking minutes to respond to keystrokes until I shut off the computer's WiFi. Something new in later releases of the software - I didn't have the problem in the past, but with an internet connection available through my cell modems almost everywhere on the trip, this is one of the first times since I was here in the fall that I haven't had an internet connection.

I'm going to post this & yesterday's page before dinner by driving a couple of miles north to find a cell signal. It is interesting - Verizon stated they would be shutting down their 3G service as of last January. A little ways outside the campground I pick up a Verizon LTE signal, but no data service. Further down the road the LTE signal disappears, 3G appears, and there is data.

Dinner will be a grilled chicken leg quarter & a salad.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment