Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lassen National Park, CA

Lassen National Park, CA

Tuesday, June 26 - Lassen National Park, CA - 162.1 Miles Today, 8,786.4 For the Trip

I made a short stop along CA 89 at Indian Falls. Not only got a photo of the falls, but they had signs along the way identifying trees & plants. I finally got to see the difference between poison ivy & poison oak.

As you can see by the title of the page, I finally made it to Lassen National Park, sorta... While the road into & through the park is open, the campground I wanted to stay in was not (even though the ranger at the entrance station suggested I stay there). Neither was the Bumpass Hell trail, the hike suggested by a number of people as a great hike. So, if I really want to see the park, I guess I'll have to come back in August! There is still lots of snow on the ground - I even have a photo of a picnic table that isn't quite ready to use.

As to the rest of the photos, they are at stops along CA 89 as it runs through the park. I'm at the Summit Lake South Campground (I wanted the Summit Lake North, but it is still closed). Nothing but a parking place and a near by vault toilet, but you can't beat the price $5.00 with the Senior Pass.


Dinner will be spaghetti & meatballs. I'll put the stove/grill in the bear box since the grill still smells of Bubba Burger & I'd rather not have one of the park's Black Bears trying to pry open the front storage box on the trailer! I won't be able to post this or the "Jon's Journeys" page for today until tomorrow - there is no cell or WiFi available here in the park.

It's tomorrow & I'm just outside Burney, CA & posting from a Shell Station. I'll stop at Burney Falls because I can't pass up my second favorite waterfall, but if I stay I probably won't be able to post - last year there was no Verizon coverage in the park...

Till Tomorrow -

2 comments:

  1. Your visits and reports are wonderful. The black bear part is kinda scary, but that is just me having a healthy respect for these big guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to make you more comfortable, I never saw a bear of any kind at Lassen. In fact, with over 25,000 miles of travel through many state & national parks, the only time I saw a bear of any kind was when a sow & 2 cubs ran across the road two cars ahead of me at Rocky Mountain National Park last year. I'm not saying they aren't out there & that it doesn't make sense to take precautions, but encounters are rare, at least in my case...

    ReplyDelete