Monday, June 11, 2012

Bryce Canyon National Park, UT

Bryce Canyon National Park, UT

Sunday, June 10 - Bryce Canyon National Park, UT - 134.6 Miles Today, 5822.9 For the Trip

I had a great drive along UT 12, another one of my favorite roads. Also reached 9600', the highest of the trip so far. The RAV4 had no problems, although since the temperature was in the high 40's, I'm sure that helped.

I'm staying at Rubys Campground tonight, site 154. While expensive at $45.00, I need to do laundry, and at 7500' will appreciate the ability to run my electric heater overnight. Last night it got down to 53°F at Capitol Reef; a big change from the past few days.

So, it is off to do laundry. I'll head into the park towards sunset for some photos.

The laundry is done, I did a little shopping in Ruby's General Store (as little as possible - they sure know they are the only one around!) then went into the park. I don't know why, but I cannot get a photo of Bryce that I like. The Hoodoos are unique, and are wonderful to look at, but for some reason, I cannot capture their impact. I've tried different times of the day, but I have to admit that I've always been here at about the same time of the year. I know a bit of snow on the formations would help. Anyhow, I took a few photos from the rim, then took a short hike on the Navajo Trail, one that makes a loop to the bottom of the canyon. Going down was easy, coming back up - well, I was huffing & puffing! After finishing the hike I drove over to the North Campground to check it out. I hope to go to Kodachrome tomorrow, but if it is full I'll try for a space in the park. I took a photo of a herd of deer nibbling around a tent in the campground.

I stayed in the park until dark to take a few star photos - there is very little artificial lighting in the park so it is a good place for them. On the other hand, at 8000', it gets cold fast. By 10:00 is was already in the 40's and the prediction if for close to freezing tonight. I packed it in once my fingers were getting numb working the camera. Probably should have stayed longer - the sky was not really all that dark when I left.

After driving back to the trailer I quickly dug out the electric heater which quickly brought the temperature up to 68°F, and made a cup of Tangerine Orange "Zinger" tea. I may even plug in the electric blanket tonight - Ah, the luxuries of a trailer over a tent!

Till Next Time

4 comments:

  1. Bryce is sure of our favorites,we hiked in the park for 4 days and on each turn found new formations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are now in one of our favorite places in all of the U.S.
    Really enjoying your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are enjoying the photos. While Glacier is still my favorite NP, Bryce does have a lot to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete