Thursday, November 30, 2017

Day 118, Thursday, November 30, 2017 - La Posa West, LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ, Day 15

My iPhone Mount
Thursday, November 30, 2017 - La Posa West, LTVA, Quartzsite, AZ, Day 15, 0 Miles, 3,253.8 Towing Miles For the Trip

I started on the first (and I hope the most difficult) project, mounting the 5" fence post for storing my folding ladder under the trailer. Because the trailer fiberglass shell hangs a little below the trailer frame, I had to add a spacer - a couple of 2"X2"s. I don't have any power saw or my hand saw with me - there is a limit to how many tools I carry. Did you ever try to cut a 2"X2" with a 32 TPI hack saw? Don't - it takes forever. Anyway, bolting (actually machine screwing) the wood blocks to the trailer frame took most of the afternoon - drilling holes into the frame over your head isn't much fun. I find the older I get, the more difficult it is to crawl around under the trailer (particularly on Quartzsite gravel). A job that would have taken less than an hour at home with the proper tools, a creeper, etc takes forever out here in the desert.

At least it was a nice day to work outside. Lots of cloud cover to keep the sun away, but warm enough for short sleeves. I was only down 20 amp hours after toasting a bagel for breakfast, and even with the clouds, the panels put them all back by sundown.

I'll finish up the storage tube tomorrow, and start on the radio antenna. I did get one other thing done. I've been looking for a good way to mount my iPhone at the head of the bed since I like to use it as a tuner for internet radio. I already have a USB/lightning cable run between the position & the radio and have been balancing the phone on the window crank. It works until the alarm goes off; the buzzer shakes it off the crank, which unplugs it. Since the alarm goes off to remind me when to take my eye drops, it goes off a lot! So, I found a mount that looks like it will work.

Dinner was a Tri-Tip roast grilled outside, mashed potatoes, and asparagus. It is a cut rarely found in my home town, so I only get to cook it here, or while traveling in the west.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment