Monday, September 25, 2017

Day 52, Monday, September 25, 2017 - Oakridge RV Park, Oakridge, OR, Day 2

Salmon Creek
Monday, September 25, 2017 - Oakridge RV Park, Oakridge, OR, Day 2, 0 Miles, 1,143.4 Towing Miles For the Trip

I didn't plug in the electric heater when I went to bed since it was still 72°F in the trailer at 10:30. I sure cooled off overnight - down to 49°F outside. The trailer was at 56°F at 6:00AM, not quite enough to fire up the furnace that was set for 57°F. Comfortable for sleeping, but too cold to want to get out of bed & dressed! Unfortunately, it didn't warm up all that much until late afternoon - lots of clouds & no sun. I ran the electric heater on low most of the day.

I hung around the trailer doing the usual stuff, than went for a walk along the levee that runs between Salmon Creek & the campground. I took the camera to photograph a section of rapids, all the time  was listening to a strange repetitive pounding noise. As I got further down the levee, I found a well drilling rig. I've seen them on the road & parked, even set up for "drilling", but never saw one working. Now I know why they sometimes call them "pounders". For those that have never seen or heard one, here is a YouTube video of one at work. This must be for a community well since it has a 12" casing, much larger than any I've seen for a household well. More photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.

The cell service here is good on both AT&T & Verizon, both showing 4G LTE. It is interesting that, when running a speed test AT&T is over twice the speed as Verizon, but last night I couldn't make a connection to WXXI, a Rochester NY station that airs one of my favorite music programs - Hearts of Space. A bit strange to most (I've described it as Yonnie meets Phillip Glass).  I like it, but am too much of a tightwad to pay for their service, so I have to listen to their broadcast each week. Again, AT&T would not connect using WXXI's app, while Verizon had no problems. I'm actually running both here since I'm less than 1/2 way through the Verizon allotment with only a week left. On top of that, the campground has pretty fast free WiFi.

Around 5:00 it got warm enough to sit outside & read for a bit. After that I went to the Matzatlan Mexican Restaurant for dinner. Very good chicken fajitas, and very fast service. Strangely enough, it was the only Mexican restaurant I've ever eaten in that was out of guacamole! Other than that, not enough sour cream & only one paper napkin (you need more with fajitas in flour tacos, at least I do), it was a good dinner at a reasonable price.

Until next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment