Friday, September 15, 2017

Day 42, Friday, September 15, 2017 - Page Springs BLM Campground, Frenchglen, OR, Day 6

An ALiner Truck Camper
Friday, September 15, 2017 - Page Springs BLM Campground, Frenchglen, OR, Day 6, 0 Miles, 678.9 Towing Miles For the Trip

Last night on my walk around the campground I saw a RV that I've never seen before. Since I've stayed in over 800 campgrounds, this is unusual, as was the RV. It is an ALiner truck camper. According to the owner, they only made them for two years - the company still makes hard sided pop ups. A neat looking rig that provides plenty of height, more than most truck campers. I also took a photo of more of the local deer herd on the way back to the trailer. By the way, the campground is full. A couple asked me about the Host site, and since there isn't one at the campground (host, that is) and people have been camping in the site, I suggested that they use it. The utilities are all locked, so it is a dry site, not that it makes much of a difference to them since they are tenters.

The real weather finally caught up with my Accuweather app. A little after dawn it was 33°F outside. Since it looked like it would be getting cold overnight, I set the furnace for 57°F before going to bed. The furnace came on around 10:00. A bit of a "new furnace" stink since it was the first time I used it, but it kept the trailer at 57°F all night. Since it only ran a few minutes at a time, I suspect it could provide far more heat if I wanted it. I switched to jeans & a jacket for my morning walk around the campground since it was still 49°F at 9:00AM.

I didn't do much during the day. I did wipe/scrape the bugs off the front of the trailer, did some reading on the computer, the iPad & Kindle, and sat outside in the sun when the clouds moved away. Too cold & windy to sit in the shade. I ran the battery down in the Kindle so it wouldn't open. At first I thought it died, but after plugging it into the charger it revived. While I was waiting, I ran the Kindle app on my laptop for the first time. It opened with my Kindle library, a click in my current book (Jeffery Deaver's The Burial Hour) opened it to the page I was on in the Kindle. Just for kicks, I read a few pages, then started the Kindle app on my iPad. Same thing, opened with my library, downloaded the current book & opened it on the page I left off on the laptop. When i went back to the laptop (where the Kindle app was still open) it asked me if I wanted to continue where it was or jump to the new page I'd read to on the iPad. Pretty neat technology!

For the second night in a row, the campground is full, with trailers still coming it looking for a home. Lots of spaces this morning; goes to show why is it good to stop by 1:00 -2:00 in the afternoon!

The plan was for a thawed "T" bone steak for dinner, but is didn't cooperate - it is still frozen solid, so it will probably have to wait until tomorrow.

Now that it is dinner time, the steak is still half frozen, and, since it is somewhat cool out, I decided to try a pot pie in the trailer oven. So far, so good. While it was cooking I talked to my brother David on Nantucket Island. It has been a cool summer there, and the summer season is winding down. He is getting construction work, so at least they are still building on the island.

Until next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment