Friday, October 16, 2015

Greenbelt National Park, MD

Site D130, Greenbelt National Park, MD
Friday, October 16, 2015, Greenbelt National Park, MD, 223.4 Miles, 389.7 Miles for the Trip

Well, not as nice a drive as Wednesday's through the changing clolr on secondary roads since much was on interstates, and the tail end in DC traffic on I 95 & the Loop, but I'm here. I even made it down the 18%, 2 mile grade with the trailer. I included a photo of the sign at the top of the hill which you can see at today's LakeshoreImages post.

Every time I drive in the DC area it reminds me how much I like the quiet roads in upstate NY (and much of the West as well). Five lanes of stop & go traffic and a 2 mile back up behind an accident (thankfully in the other direction) in the middle of the afternoon...

I'm in site D130, a roadside site that just fits the trailer & the RAV4. It gets some sun for the solar panels, and isn't too far from the bathroom (with hot showers, unusual for National Parks). Of course, it is also unusual to find a wooded campground in the middle of the DC area; it is a pretty location.  Mostly empty, in fact they have the "C" loop closed.

After setting up the trailer I drove to Karin's new house in Tacoma Park. 9.5 miles away, and about a 20 minute drive at 2:30. I played with the grandkids, talked and did a bunch of catching up. Since I wanted to get back before dark, I left at 6:00. It took 50 minutes to get back to the campground! Since I didn't take a site photo before I left, I did it in the almost dark with an ISO of 2500. Almost looks like daylight unless you notice the light in the trailer window.

Since I had lots of cheese & crackers at Karin's, dinner was simple - a turkey sandwich & chips.

Until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment