Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Glacier National Park, Day 4

Today's Photo - Dead Horse Dam, Dead Horse, MT















Today was a fairly quiet one. I drove back to the mustard seed field because I wanted a better photo than the one I took last time. On the way back I stopped to see the Dead Horse Dam, a short drive off US 2 in (of course) Dead Horse, MT. I also had the thought that it would be interesting to take a helicopter ride to where they are plowing to photograph them.  I stopped at one of the helicopter charters outside the park - $455.00 for a 1/2 hour, the time it would take.  Nice idea, but just a little more than I'm willing to spend.  A little different from Viet Nam - when I was doing operations & training for the 101st I'd just make a call & one would meet me at the landing pad. I guess I'll stick with the Glacier's flickr page.

After that it was off to Polebridge to pick up a couple of sticky buns & cinnamon rolls. Yes, it is a little crazy to drive 48 miles round trip just for a couple of rolls, but:

They are really that good!
I'm on vacation!
I'm retired - I can do what ever I want!


After that it was back to the campground and Skype my daughter Karin on her birthday. We "talked" for awhile - they are leaving for a 2 year stint to Botswana on Thursday. I'll miss them, but last time they were in Africa we managed to Skype back & forth almost weekly; I'm hoping it will be the same this time.


Tomorrow I will be heading into Canada. My Verizon data plan (through Millenicom) does not cover Canada, and the cost of connecting through my AT&T plan would cost me hundreds of dollars per week, I will have to make my updates at either campground WiFi connections, or other open connections until I get back to the US. So, if you don't hear from me it isn't because I don't care!

Till Whenever!

No comments:

Post a Comment