Saturday, February 23, 2019

Day 203, Saturday, February 23 , 2019 - Picacho Peak State Park, AZ

Site A7
Saturday, February 23 , 2019 - Picacho Peak State Park, AZ - 212.2 Miles, 8476.5 Miles for the Trip

I took the bypass to I8 rather than drive through Phoenix on I10, which was a good idea since the Phoenix NPR station said there was a 2 mile backup on I10 East about the time I'd be going through the city.

I'm in site A7 at Picacho Peak State Park located about 40 miles northwest of Tucson. While not my favorite Arizona state park, it is near the top. My favorite is Lost Dutchman near Apache Junction, but it is full. With the Spring wildflower bloom just starting, most of the reservable state park sites are booked. Site A7 is an electric only site for $30.00 per night plus a $5.00 reservation fee. A pull through a short walk to the bathrooms. I didn't have to unhook, but did need to do some side to side leveling, and the tongue jack is lifting the truck about as much as possible to get things level. They have a dump station & fresh water fill station on the way into the camping loops, so my tanks are empty (and fresh water full).

One of the reasons I like the park is the hike to the top of Picacho Peak, although I'm glad I did it when I was 5 years younger! It is also a pretty park with lots of cactus, birds & wildflowers throughout the campground. Good sized showers, although unheated, and the inevitable high pressure, low volume showerheads that end up spraying cold water with the hot water turned all the way up. Probably OK in the summer, but this time of year when the bathroom temperature is in the low 50's, it makes for short showers.

I walked around taking a few flower photos. Notice the snow on the mountains in the background of the last California poppy photo. None here on the ground, but there was sand on I 8 that might have been from a sanding truck since they did have measurable snow in the area over the last couple of days.  Photos at today's LakeshoreImages page.


Dinner was a Barber Stuffed Chicken Breast (Broccoli & Cheese) with asparagus & mashed potatoes.

Until Tomorrow -

No comments:

Post a Comment