Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Glen Maury Park, Buena Vista, VA

Site 19, Glen Maury Park, Buena Vista, VA
Tuesday, April 19, 2016, Glen Maury Park, Buena Vista, VA, 178.5 Miles, 7,143.1 Miles for the Trip

Most of today's drive was on I 81. I tried the GPS set for no highways, and it added 80 miles & 2 hours to the trip. The problem is parts of US 11 are on I 81, and the GPS insists on finding a way around those sections. Eventually, for the last 60 miles, I managed to follow US 11.

I'm in site 19 of the Glen Maury Park, a city park that has two sections, one open lawn & the other at the top of a hill. I chose the top area even though the sites are full hookup & $3.00 more expensive. The full hookup price with a $1.00 senior discount would have been $32.09. Unfortunately, after setting up I headed for the bathroom (having it near for a shower was the reason I chose the upper campground) and it was locked.

I drove back to the campground office to pay for the site, asked about the bathroom, and it seems someone trashed the Men's side & it hasn't been fixed yet. The office staff felt bad that I set up just to use the bathroom, so they offered to charge me the tent rate - I paid $24.49 for the site. Looks a lot like yesterday's campground - gravel sites that are quite uneven, although site 19 is better than most & is paved. Unusually placed utilities, and I didn't hook up to the sewer - it was filled with leaves. Overall, an older campground, but fine for overnight, particularly the lower section which is easy in/out (although near the railroad tracks). After paying for the site I headed to Kenny's, a fast food stop for a chicken sandwich & fries for lunch.

It is hot - outside temperature at 2:00 was 87°F & 92°F on my remote thermometer under the propane cover. This is the first time since the fall that I used the air conditioner. I ran it to cool the trailer, but spent the afternoon sitting outside in the shade of the awning. I've just about finished reading my P. D. James novel.

Since I had a late lunch, dinner will be cracker & cheese.

Until next time -

No comments:

Post a Comment