Sunday, March 13, 2022

2021 - 2022 Trip To The Southwest, Day 144

 Sunday, March 13, Fort Griffin State Historic Site, Albany, TX - 260.6 Miles, 5,629.6 Miles for the Trip

Site 2

Another cool morning, although only down to 30°F and nothing froze other than my fingers getting the trailer ready to leave. I stopped at the Odessa Walmart to replace one of thee baby locks I use to keep a set of cabinet doors closed while driving - the washboard road I drove on by mistake broke the plastic lock I had on the doors. They come in pairs, but of course I left the second one at home, so now I have 2 spares. I also picked up some frozen meals and finally found a Marie Callender's large pot pie. Turkey rather than my favorite chicken with mushrooms, but at least I found one.

I hit Fort Griffin around 2:30. The campground is first come, but you need to check in at the park visitor center. I went to the visitor center before I hit the campground, so the attendant picked a site that he was fairly sure would be empty. He said if there was someone it the site, just pick another one & they would straighten out the paperwork. Nobody in site 2, which is a level site on gravel, water & electric for $15.00 per night. While labeled as a state park, I don't think it is part of the Texas State Park system - different reservation process & no daily per person charge. Reservations by phone, not the Texas State Park reservation system. When you reserve, they guarantee a space, but not a specific one. Different prices for tent, electric & water & full hookup sites.

After setting up, I headed for the campground shower. I rate the shower an "A". 2 hooks well out of the shower spray, a bench, standard showerhead with plenty of hot water, shower curtain & a good sized dressing area. All I could ask for is to have the showerhead 6" higher, and the building a bit warmer - the block construction holds in last night's cold even with an outside temperature of 71°F.

Afte my shower I made my usual Sunday phone calls - both my son Kyle & Anne & Guido went from green lawn to 6" of snow yesterday. I read that Tennessee got 6" - 8" of snow from the same storm - sure hope all that is gone by the time I hit the state.

Dinner was a turkey sandwich & a salad.

Until Tomorrow - 

No comments:

Post a Comment