Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Letchworth State Park, Day 3

 

Lower Falls

A very slow start to the morning. My excuse is it was colder, both out & in than yesterday. 47°F outside & 57°F in the trailer. I didn't get out for my walk until 9:00. After that it was reading my usual on line forums, a bit on Facebook, and reading. Current book is Mark Dawson's The Jungle, the 7th in the John Milton series. I've enjoyed all of them. John Milton is a bit of Lee Child's Jack Reacher character, however enough different to be interesting. I still have many more to go. 

We finally got our acts together around noon & headed out to see the dam. It is unusual, as it is a dry dam. The only time it fills is during flooding conditions to protect the downstream areas, including the city of Rochester. A sign near the dam notes that it cost $25 million in 1950, however has saved over a billion dollars of flooding damage since that time. 

I was always confused that you could not see the river behind the dam. It wasn't until years after my first visit that I drove to the other side of the dam, and looking back, saw the river tight against the Letchworth Park bank. The other interesting thing at the dam is a sign noting that there are eagles in the area. In smaller letters it also notes that there are turkey vultures. I constantly see parents pointing out the circling turkey vultures and telling their kids "look at the eagles!" So, I'm including a photo of a "counterfeit eagle" 

After the visit to the dam it was a late lunch at the Lower Falls restaurant , then down the 127 steps to the view point for the Lower Falls. This is both my favorite of the three waterfalls, and my favorite place for photographing it. Still, hauling myself, the camera & heavy lenses & tripod back up is getting to be a chore. Lots of folks taking pictures and wandering around, but I managed to get a few images in between people. Lots more photos at the LakeshoreImages page.


No comments:

Post a Comment