Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lake Placid, NY

West Branch of the Ausable River

I was off at the crack of 10:00AM. A bit of a late start packing the final items into the RAV4 & trailer. Spent most of the day on US 11 & NY 3. I stopped for a photo of the Oswegatchie River and a Hotel that I suspect you could make a deal on. I stopped for the night at Lake Placid, NY. The plan was to stay at Whispering Pines Campground, but they whispered so quietly that they were closed. No one at the office or any where near by. They did have a sign stating they were newly opened, and a list of the site prices. Finally gave up & headed for a New York DEC campground - Wilmington Notch. I stopped for a photo of a couple of the Adirondack Mountains & the ski jump built for the Lake Placid Olympics.

Wilmington Gap Campground was not very crowded - there were 3 reservations for empty sites, about 5-6 sites already taken, so I had lots of choices. I'm in site 40, with the solar panel peaking out from under a tree.

There is a waterfall on the West Branch of the Ausable River below the campground. Of course I had to hike down to take a photo. The river is running fairly high & the waterfall quite impressive. There was also a small stream feeding the river just below the falls so I took a few photos of it as well. You cannot easily get below either falls, the position I prefer to take photos from, so these will have to do.

As usual, the rest of the photos are at today's Lakeshore Images page.

It is a dry campground, although they do have hot showers. Dinner will be simple, for some reason I'm a bit beat. Probably all the packing!

Until Tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment