Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ready to Go!

West Marine High Back Chair
I finished the rest of my planned trailer modifications, and just returned from having the bearings repacked, new tires, and the brakes cleaned & adjusted.  As far as I can tell, I'm ready to go.  I still have too many other projects to get out of Oswego for awhile (in fact, I'll probably need to do the first lawn mowing before the end of the week and hope to get my vegetable garden planted in about two weeks), but at least the trailer is ready.

The tire change was interesting - I wanted to switch from the Goodyear Marathon tires to Maxxis.  The only problem is the only Maxxis tires in my size (ST205/75/15) were "D" rated with a sidewall maximum inflation pressure of 65psi.  Both Maxxis & Goodyear supply tire pressure/weight tables that give tire pressures for the trailer weight.  Both the RV shop that did the work as well as the tire store that did the mounting insist that trailer tires MUST be inflated to the maximum pressure.  I'm a bit concerned about this since my rims are rated at 50 psi, and the weight tables show the proper inflation for my trailer would be around 45psi.  I know there are believers in both schools, but why are there tables if you can't use them?

In any case, I covered the plywood storage cover with black vinyl, tried the chair (very comfortable & a good height for the table), ran the wiring for the new antenna, and closed up all the things I opened to make the modifications.  Here is a link to my trailer modification page with the latest photos. As the title says, I'm ready to go.

Till next time

3 comments:

  1. You are knocking it out with all the mods. Wish I had a place for a chair like that in our Casita. We did get extra rear tail lights as well...I feel so much safer. Seems you will be rolling out soon! Love your rig!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would go with the manufacturers weight/pressure tables for that specific tire rather than the opinion of either dealer. Just monitor for excessive heat buildup or wear the first few trips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete