Sunday, September 18, 2011

Letchworth State Park

Balloons Over Letchworth State Park, NY















I've been to Letchworth State Park a number of times - there are three major waterfalls to photograph & since waterfalls are a favorite subject of mine and my daughter Karin went to SUNY Geneseo, which is next door, they were all day trips.
Since I had some time after visiting the Niagara Wine Escape in Niagara Falls, I decided to book three days in the campground here at Letchworth. I'm in site 311, a 30 amp site without sewer or water. Although they take reservations, I generally don't make them. When I stopped at the campground office they gave a a list of 6-8 sites to check, said to pick one & come back to register. Most are quite shaded - since it is cooling off I chose the sunniest one.
Although it was too late in the afternoon to shoot good photos of the falls (the sun sets upstream of them) I did take a few. 

They were setting up for a hot air balloon launch in the field next to the middle falls so I hung around long enough to shoot some images of the process. UnlikeSpeediefest, there were only two balloons, but it was fun watching them get off the ground. So, for those that have never watched a launch from start to finish (well, not finish for those in the balloon, just us on the ground) there are a bunch of photos at "A Couple of Days At Letchworth State Park."

No comments:

Post a Comment