Monday, August 1, 2011

Grand Marais, MN

Today's Photo - Gooseberry Falls, MN
















I did haul the trailer to AAA rather than leave it at the campground & go back for it. I set the GPS on "no highways" which, I guess according to Garmin, excludes interstates. Not sure what else it excludes - it did route me on MN 61 which, at least in my mind is a highway. Oh well, it worked. I did still run into one detour - there is a tremendous amount of road construction in the Duluth area. Very much needed - so far Minnesota has the worst roads of the trip. They are all (well, mostly) paved, but the cracks, potholes, etc make for the worst thumping the trailer has had all trip long. Even I 35 was so bad I was glad to get off it & back on a better (MN 23) road.

Anyway, I made a couple of stops along MN 61 on the way to the Grand Marais Recreation Area campground. As usual, more photos at the Lakeshore Images Journal Page. I'm in site 111W, a water & electric site for $35.80.

One of the stops was a Gooseberry Falls State Park. I walked to the falls & the lake. Agate Beach is at the end of the Gooseberry River. There is a sign stating don't pick up the agates however it looks like it is a popular pastime. In any case I do now have one, but mine came from along side MN 23. Yesterday, as I was driving along I kept seeing people walking along side the road looking at the ground. I stopped at a rest site & a couple walked up to their car. I asked what they were doing & they said "looking for agates - it's easier than at the beach!" They gave me one - very pretty!

Tomorrow I'm heading into Canada. Since I won't be able to use my cell modem, my web site & blog updates will depend on finding WiFi connections. It worked well last time I was in the Canadian Rockies; let's hope Ontario is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment